Saturday, November 14, 2009

6WS No Doubt... I Love this Land

God Bless the U.S.A.

I love Veterans Day. It's a new love in my life. I never really had an appreciation for it until my kids started going to school at the elementary school that Fashionista still attends. I should have. My ancestors have fought for this glorious land of ours for many generations. Click here to read a tribute from my Grandmother.

A Navy Base is located near our home which means that a high percentage of the students in our district come from Navy families. Many of them have parents currently serving in places far from home. Many have lived in distant countries. The house next door is currently being rented to a young Navy family because the Navy family that owns it is on a 3 year assignment in Italy.
Down the street we have retired Navy and retired Marines. Our world is filled with Military including a nephew who served and died in Iraq.

Yesterday we attended the Veterans Day assembly at Fashionista's school. This is the most powerful event of the year. The attendance is greater at this assembly than anything else I have ever attended at an elementary school.

Fashionista is in the schools choir and they have been practicing for this since the start of school.

I wish I could portray to you the feelings that prevailed in that overcrowded gym. From the moment we stood to repeat the Pledge of Allegiance followed by a beautiful rendition of God Bless America sung by the 100+ voice 4th and 5th grade choir a spirit of support, love and gratitude filled the room.

We stood for a moment of silence. It was beautiful and touching. Here we were, surrounded by approximately 600 children from age 5 to 11 and the room was completely silent until one Xylophone began to play Taps. I thought about people in my family who have served in the armed forces in years gone by, I thought about families I know who currently have members sacrificing for the wonderful freedoms we enjoy and I thought about people I have never met who have lost loved ones to these ugly wars.

My eyes were already beginning to mist when the choir sang a medley of the theme songs for the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard. They asked that if you are serving or have served in one of these armed forces to please stand during your song. There were Moms, Dads, brothers, sisters, and grandfathers standing at times during the entire medley.

The feelings of gratitude and love that filled my heart were overpowering and my eyes spilled over.

I live in a nation where my freedoms are so great that I can worship however I choose, I can talk about whatever I want in my blog with no fear of being censored or put in jail, I can live in whatever way I like because of the sacrifices others have made in the past 300 years.

God Bless America, MY home sweet home.

For more Six Word Saturday visit Cate at Show my Face.

4 comments:

jabblog said...

Remembrance services are always poignant and uplifting. It's good that the young are learning and respecting and feeling gratitude for the freedom so often so hardly won.

JoLyn said...

Awesome Jenny! It's so great to have a reason to think about our great country and the people who make it possible. It's amazing how many families have someone who has served or who is serving now. Cheers to them all!

Annie said...

I like your post and of course your six words.

Enjoy your weekend.

Stopping from Show My Face

Call Me Cate said...

Thanks for playing 6WS - sorry I'm so late visiting this week.